Sunday, July 3, 2011

Free will

I missed last Sunday's meeting, but as I read through the first 3 chapters it kept occuring to me that the concept of free will was missing until I began chapter 4. Now I see Kushner was building the case for free will by discussing in detail all the other reasons we have developed in our culture for why bad things happen if God is a loving God. The greatest gift we could be given is freedom...... and this includes the understanding that our decisions in life have consequences. Having said this, we still experience in life, and in Stephen Ministry, that bad things can still happen even after we have made what we believe are good decisions. The reason good people may suffer is simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time and being affected by someone else's bad decision.